
Uttam Guest House: India's Best-Kept Secret (Luxury Awaits!)
Uttam Guest House: India's Best-Kept Secret? Hold My Chai (A Review)
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because I'm about to spill the masala chai on Uttam Guest House. They call it a "luxury" escape, and honestly? They mostly deliver. It's not perfect (what is, really?), but it's got a vibe that's…well, quintessentially Indian. And I'm here to tell you, the "best-kept secret" bit? Maybe a little overblown. But still. Definitely worth a peek.
Let's get the practical stuff out of the way first, because let's be honest, that's what we really want to know.
Accessibility & The Nitty-Gritty:
Accessibility: Okay, this is where things get a little… nuanced. They say "facilities for disabled guests," but I didn't see a ton of specific details on the website. Call ahead and double check if you need a guaranteed wheelchair-accessible room. The elevator is key, though, and I think they've got ramps. I'd hate to be wrong on this, so PLEASE, verify directly with them!
Connectivity! This is important in today's world.
- Internet access: They advertise all the bells and whistles, which means, if you're like me, you're praying to the Wi-Fi gods.
- Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! YES! This is a win. Because, who wants to fumble with data roaming when you are on a trip?
- Internet [LAN]: Yup! For you old schoolers, who still love a cable.
- Internet services: Yes! Good work Uttam Guest House.
- Wi-Fi in public areas: Everywhere again. This is pretty standard though.
Getting Around – This is India, After All: Airport transfer? Check. Free car park? Also check. Honestly, the free parking is a HUGE win. Finding parking in some areas can be a nightmare. They've got taxi service too, which is super convenient.
The Safety Dance: (Or, How Much Sanitizer is Too Much?)
I'm a little obsessed with cleanliness, especially these days. Uttam Guest House really takes it seriously.
- Cleanliness and safety: They're all over it. Hand sanitizer everywhere? Check. Staff trained in safety protocol? Check. Daily disinfection? Double check.
- Anti-viral cleaning products: Good.
- First aid kit: Makes sense.
- Hot water linen and laundry washing: Essential comfort.
- Hygiene certification: They are doing what you want, and really make you feel safe.
- Rooms sanitized between stays: The best way to do it!
- Room sanitization opt-out available: Nice to have choices.
- Safe dining setup: Smart.
- Sanitized kitchen and tableware items: A no-brainer these days
- Staff trained in safety protocol: Great
- Sterilizing equipment: Well done.
The Room: My Sanctuary (With a Few Quirks)
Okay, let's get down to brass tacks: the rooms. They’ve got the usual suspects: air conditioning (thank GOD!), mini-bar (tempting, always), coffee/tea maker (essential for surviving India), and a seriously comfy bed. My room had a balcony, which was glorious for watching the sunrise with a cup of chai. I had to call housekeeping twice, because they forgot to give me the soap, and I feel like my room got a bit of a rushed clean.
- Available in all rooms:
- Air conditioning: Essential.
- Alarm clock: Good
- Bathrobes: Nice touch.
- Bathroom phone: Okay.
- Bathtub: YES!
- Blackout curtains: Needed.
- Carpeting: Hmm.
- Closet: Always.
- Coffee/tea maker: You can make your own to enjoy the view.
- Complimentary tea: Good.
- Daily housekeeping: Yep.
- Desk: You might need that.
- Extra long bed: Nice.
- Free bottled water: Thank you!
- Hair dryer: Needed it.
- High floor: Makes a difference.
- In-room safe box: Smart.
- Interconnecting room(s) available: Useful.
- Internet access – LAN: Good.
- Internet access – wireless: Always.
- Ironing facilities: Okay.
- Laptop workspace: Good.
- Linens: The best feeling.
- Mini bar: Tempting.
- Mirror: Needed.
- Non-smoking: Good.
- On-demand movies: Nice.
- Private bathroom: Good.
- Reading light: Nice.
- Refrigerator: Might need it.
- Safety/security feature: Always.
- Satellite/cable channels: Always.
- Scale: Okay.
- Seating area: Needed.
- Separate shower/bathtub: Great.
- Shower: Good.
- Slippers: Needed.
- Smoke detector: Good.
- Socket near the bed: Love!
- Sofa: Nice.
- Soundproofing: Very needed.
- Telephone: Good.
- Toiletries: Always.
- Towels: Always.
- Umbrella: Needed.
- Visual alarm: Good.
- Wake-up service: Good.
- Wi-Fi [free]: Amazing.
- Window that opens: Nice.
The Food: A Culinary Adventure (Mostly Delicious)
The dining experience at Uttam Guest House is a bit of a roller coaster. The breakfast buffet? A glorious spread of curries, dosas, continental options, and fresh fruit. Heaven. I loaded up on everything I could get my hands on, and the masala chai was perfect.
The "special occasion" restaurant was a bit stuffy and the food was so-so, but the on-site restaurants offered Asian cuisine in restaurant, offering a la carte in restaurant, Asian breakfast, International cuisine in restaurant, Western cuisine in restaurant, happy hour, salad in restaurant, soup in restaurant, coffee/tea in restaurant, desserts in restaurant and a poolside bar.
- Dining, drinking, and snacking:
- A la carte in restaurant: Check.
- Alternative meal arrangement: Sure.
- Asian breakfast: Yum.
- Asian cuisine in restaurant: Nice!
- Bar: Always good.
- Bottle of water: Great.
- Breakfast [buffet]: Perfect!
- Breakfast service: Great.
- Buffet in restaurant: Yes.
- Coffee/tea in restaurant: Of course.
- Coffee shop: Nice.
- Desserts in restaurant: Sweet.
- Happy hour: Great.
- International cuisine in restaurant: Always.
- Poolside bar: Yes!
- Restaurants: Check
- Room service [24-hour]: The best feature.
- Salad in restaurant: Health.
- Snack bar: Great.
- Soup in restaurant: Comfort.
- Vegetarian restaurant: Needed.
- Western breakfast: OK.
- Western cuisine in restaurant: Great.
The "Relaxation" Factor: Spa Days and Pool Views
Okay, this is where Uttam Guest House really shines. The spa is legit. I got a massage (a deep tissue massage, because, let’s be honest, I needed it), and I swear I floated out of there. The pool with a view? Spectacular. The sauna and steam room were also a welcome treat.
- Things to do, ways to relax:
- Body scrub: Cool.
- Body wrap: Nice!
- Fitness center: Cardio.
- Foot bath: Relax.
- Gym/fitness: great.
- Massage: Get it.
- Pool with view: YES!
- Sauna: Yes.
- Spa: Worth it.
- Spa/sauna: Yes!
- Steamroom: Nice.
- Swimming pool: Nice!
- Swimming pool [outdoor]: Great.
Services and Conveniences: Your Every Need Catered To (Almost)
Uttam Guest House aims for the full-service experience, and they mostly hit the mark. From the concierge to the laundry service, they’ve got you covered.
- Services and conveniences:
- Air conditioning in public area: Always.
- Audio-visual equipment for special events: Good.
- Business facilities: Good.

Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because this isn't your average, sterile travel itinerary. This is a living, breathing, sweating in the Indian heat itinerary, courtesy of yours truly, destined for the glorious, chaotic embrace of the Uttam Guest House. Consider yourselves warned: there will be chai spills, existential crises, and probably a rogue monkey.
Uttam Guest House & Beyond: A Mostly-Sane Itinerary (Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Curry)
Day 1: Arrival & The Utter Shock of "Welcome" (Or, Where Did I Leave My Sanity?)
- Morning (ish): Arrive at Delhi Airport. Landed, bleary-eyed, clutching a crumpled printout of my train reservation (pray for me, it's in Hindi). The air hits you like a warm, spicy hug… then the reality check: Delhi traffic. It's a symphony of horns, scooters weaving like drunken bees, and cows that seem to have a better sense of direction than I do.
- Afternoon: Train from Delhi to [Insert your destination here, Duh!]. The train station is an assault on the senses in the best possible way. The chatter is constant, the smells are a fragrant warzone, and the sheer volume of people is staggering. Found my seat (thank god), and promptly spilled my first cup of chai on my pants. Classic.
- Evening: Arrive at the Uttam Guest House. Praise be! The chaos of travel melted away into the charm of the hotel. The staff is unbelievably friendly, despite the chaos that comes with travel. Found my room (thank god there are no spiders) and collapsed on the surprisingly comfy bed. First impression of the room: It's clean, simple, and…smells faintly of jasmine incense. Now that I can breathe, I went to dinner at the hotel restaurant. It's not Michelin-starred, but the dal is to die for. And the naan? Forget about it.
- Late Night: Stared at the ceiling for a bit, trying to grasp the fact that I'm actually here. Played with the AC for 30 minutes. Finally, sleep. (Fingers crossed no loud noises outside)
Day 2: Temple Troubles and Taste Bud Tantrums
- Morning: Woke up with a crick in my neck and an urgent need for caffeine. Coffee (which, let's be honest, is the lifeblood of any traveler) was surprisingly decent. A brisk walk to the nearest coffee shop!
- Late Morning: Visited a local temple. The incense was thick, the chanting hypnotic. I, however, was distracted by the sheer number of tourists, cameras, and a persistent (but harmless) stray dog. It was beautiful, emotional, and really got me thinking. I think I found a bit of peace at the temple.
- Lunch: Found a local street food stall. Ordered something that looked vaguely familiar. Turns out it was incredibly spicy. Tears streamed down my face. The vendor just laughed. I learned that day: Indians have a different tolerance for chili.
- Afternoon: I wandered around aimlessly. Got delightfully lost in the market, haggled (badly) for a scarf, and bought a ridiculous hat I will never wear again. Perfect day!
- Evening: Attempted to write postcards while listening to the sounds of the city. Realised my pen had leaked all over them. Decided to drink a whole extra bottle of water and call it a night.
Day 3: The Great River Adventure (Or, Why I Might Need a Boat)
- Morning: Early start! Headed towards the [Your Destination nearby the hotel] River. The journey itself was an adventure, with rickshaws, crowded buses, and a healthy dose of near-misses.
- Late Morning: Finally reached the river. Hired a boat (negotiated the price really well, I thought). The view was breathtaking. Water was the color of…well, a polluted river, to be honest. A family of monkeys decided to hitch a ride on our boat, which was both terrifying and hilarious.
- Lunch: Had a picnic lunch on a tiny island in the middle of the river. Chicken Masala, and the most perfect samosas I'd ever had. The monkeys tried to steal my food. I won.
- Afternoon: The river cruise was a major sensory overload. The sights, the sounds, the smells…it was all so, so India. I saw the cremation ghat, and got to see a different culture, which I tried to do in as respectful a way as possible.
- Evening: Back to the Uttam Guest House! The river trip really brought me closer to the local culture. Did some journaling, and re-read the book I brought with me. Decided to take a nap. Woke up, and had dinner at the amazing hotel restaurant.
Day 4: The Pursuit of Happiness (And Maybe a Perfect Cup of Chai)
- Morning: Yoga class at the hotel. I attempted to sit cross-legged. I could not. I think my instructor saw me, and had to laugh. This is my workout regime of this trip hah.
- Late Morning: Visited a local spice market. The aromas were intoxicating. Spent way too much money on spices I don't know how to use. And then a chai tasting. I'm now convinced I can train to be a chai expert.
- Lunch: Tried another street food stall. This time, I asked for "mild." Still spicy. But, progress is progress. I am learning.
- Afternoon: Wandered around the local park. It was a perfect place to take a break from the city, to write more postcards, and reflect.
- Evening: Tried to catch a sunset. Got caught in a mini-monsoon instead. Still, kind of spectacular.
Day 5: Goodbyes & The Glorious Meltdown (Or, Maybe I Don't Want to Leave?)
- Morning: Packing. The most stressful part of any trip. I have too much stuff. How is this even possible?
- Late Morning: One last wander around the area. Bought some souvenirs. Had one last chai.
- Lunch: Tried to eat at the restaurant. Got emotional. So many happy memories.
- Afternoon: Saying goodbye to the hotel staff. So sad! They were all incredibly kind. Taking a rickshaw to the train station.
- Evening: Goodbye to Uttam Guest House! I never imagined I'd fall in love with a hotel, and I did! I will never forget the perfect location, the perfect views, and the perfect company. I can't wait to come back.
Food & Drink Notes (Important!)
- Chai: Drink. All. The. Chai. (But maybe ask for less sugar the first time.)
- Dal: The simple comfort food.
- Anything Spicy: Proceed with caution. Tears are inevitable.
- Water: Drink it. Constantly. And bottled!
- Lassi: Order it! It's a delicious smoothie-like drink.
Things to Remember (AKA, Lessons Learned the Hard Way)
- Bargain! Haggling is part of the experience. Don't be shy.
- Slow down, you fool! You can't see everything. Embrace the chaos.
- Learn a few Hindi phrases. It'll get you further than you think.
- Bring toilet paper. (Seriously.)
- Embrace the unexpected. That's where the real adventures are.
- Most importantly: Be open. Be curious. Be kind. India will reward you.
This itinerary is more of a loose guideline, a starting point. Things will go wrong. You will get lost. You will question your sanity. But you'll also experience moments of pure, unadulterated joy. And that, my friends, is the magic of travel (and, hopefully, the Uttam Guest House). Now go, and make some memories! And please, avoid the rogue monkeys. (I tried, they still got me.)
Cambodia's Hottest Hotels: Luxury Stays, Local Gems & Unbeatable Deals!
Uttam Guest House: The Un-Secret Secret (Prepare Yourself!)
Okay, Seriously, Is Uttam Guest House *Actually* Worth the Hype? I've seen those Instagram posts...
Ugh, the hype. I get it. Those travel bloggers with their perfectly filtered sunsets? They had me raising an eyebrow too. But... honestly? It's like, mostly worth it. Don't expect a flawless stay. (More on that later – the imperfections are part of its charm, I swear!) But the vibe? The food? The sheer escape from the usual tourist traps? Yeah, that's real. It’s a legit experience, like finding a dusty record and realizing it’s a freakin' masterpiece.
Think less polished resort, more... a wonderfully eccentric aunt's mansion. It's got that lived-in luxury feel, you know? Like, the kind of place where the furniture might be a little worn, but it's probably been in the family for a hundred years and has a story behind it. The first time I went, I was secretly expecting to judge EVERYTHING. My inner critic was READY. But then the mango lassi hit, and I sort of melted. And the staff… the staff are angels disguised as people. They're weirdly good at anticipating your needs, even before *you* know what you need.
Tell me *everything* about the rooms. Are they actually luxurious?
Alright, room breakdown! Okay, "luxurious" is relative, right? It's not the Four Seasons. BUT they are *gorgeous*. Think huge beds piled with pillows (and I mean *piled*, like you could build a fort), plush rugs, and antique furniture that feels like it's been lovingly restored. My favorite room? The one with the balcony overlooking the garden. OMG, the garden! It's like something out of a storybook. I spent hours just reading and drinking tea there. Pure zen. Pure bliss.
And the bathrooms... They're massive. And yes, they usually have a claw-foot tub! Picture yourself, bubbles, a glass of wine... perfection. Though, *pro tip:* Check the hot water before you fully commit to the soak. Sometimes, the water pressure is a little... unpredictable. (Like a moody toddler.) I once waited a *solid* hour for the water to warm up. I could have written a novel in that time. Still worth it when it did. Eventually.
The Food! I saw some photos... is it as amazing as it looks? I'm a foodie, so this is important!
Oh. My. GOD. The food. Okay, buckle up, because I could talk about the food at Uttam Guest House for DAYS. It's... it's another level. They use fresh, locally sourced ingredients, and the chefs? They're culinary wizards. They'll tell you stories about how they source the ingredients. Expect regional specialties – the kind you can't find in standard tourist restaurants. I almost cried eating the chicken tikka. Seriously. It was THAT good.
The breakfast buffet? Prepare to have your mind blown. There's everything you could possibly want: fresh fruit, eggs cooked to perfection, crispy pancakes, Indian breakfast specials. And the coffee! Strong, rich, and delicious. I may have had like, five cups every morning. (Don’t judge.) Beware the afternoon snacks however. I remember getting a plate of samosas that were so hot and perfectly fried, I think I ate the entire plate in under 5 minutes. Then I ate another. Don't go if you're on a diet. You'll never be the same.
What kind of "activities" are available? I can't just sit around all day...
This is where Uttam Guest House shines. Emphasis on the *guest* part. They're not pushing you into a pre-packaged tourist experience. They'll set you up with tours if you ask. They'll arrange cooking classes. They'll give you a map to the secret local market (Go! Seriously, go!). But mostly, the activities are about *slowing down*. The best activity involves simply breathing and existing.
They also have a beautiful pool. The only issue (and it's a minor one) is that sometimes, it can get crowded. I swear, the second the sun hits the pool, everyone is there. So, get up early for a swim, or be prepared to share. Oh, and there are massages available. I highly recommend booking one. They're heavenly. I once drifted off mid-massage, fell asleep, and woke up feeling like a new person. Worth every single Rupee.
What's the staff like? I’ve heard mixed reviews...
Okay, the staff. This is where Uttam Guest House REALLY wins. Honestly, they're the heart and soul of the place. They’re not just employees; they treat the place like their own home. I’ve never met a more helpful, genuinely friendly group of people. They treat you like family.
They’re *attentive* – sometimes almost too attentive, I’ll admit. But they're always trying to anticipate your needs. Want another cup of tea? It's magically there. Need help figuring out the local bus? They practically hold your hand. They remember your name. They remember your favorite drink. They're just... amazing. One time, I lost my favorite scarf somewhere on the premises and they *found* it a week later and mailed it to me. Seriously, where do they find these people?
BUT. And this is important. They're not perfect. Language barriers can occur. Sometimes, communication can be a little... fuzzy. Be patient. Be kind. And don't expect instant gratification. Remember, you're in India. Things move at a different pace. Embrace the slower rhythm. You'll appreciate it.
Okay, be real. What are the downsides? What should I be prepared for?
Alright, time for the truth bomb. It’s not all sunshine and roses. Here’s the unvarnished reality: First, the wifi isn't always the greatest. If you *need* to be constantly connected, this might be a problem. I once spent two hours trying to upload a picture and almost lost my mind. (Again, embrace the slow pace!)
Second: Noise. Sometimes the rooster outside your window is very enthusiastic in the morning. (Bring earplugs!) And there's a chance that the cleaning staff will start cleaning your room while you're still in it. I had one awkward encounter. But, the biggest "downside"? Leaving. Seriously. It's hard to leave. You get so used to the pampering, the incredible food, the peaceful atmosphere... It's like leaving your favorite, slightly eccentric family. It’s that hard to accept it's over. But, you know, it's worth it.
Oh! and one more thing! It's not cheapThe Stay Journey

