
Unbelievable Luxury Awaits: Your Hilton San Luis Potosí Escape!
Unbelievable Luxury Awaits: My Hilton San Luis Potosí Deep Dive (and Honestly, It Was a Trip!)
Okay, people, let's be real. Hotels are a gamble. You scroll through the slick photos, read the (usually sugar-coated) reviews, and cross your fingers that reality matches the brochure. Well, I just spent a few days at the Hilton San Luis Potosí, and I'm here to give you the unvarnished truth, from the perfectly fluffy towels to the slightly-less-than-perfect breakfast buffet (more on that later!). Buckle up, because this is gonna be a ride.
First Impressions & Accessibility – Can Everyone Get In On the Fun?
Right off the bat, the Hilton San Luis Potosí scores big points on accessibility. Wheelchair accessible throughout? Check. Elevator? Absolutely, which, trust me, is a huge relief when you've been lugging gear around like a pack mule. The hallways are wide, the doors are easy to maneuver, and they've clearly put thought into making the experience comfortable for everyone. This is HUGE, and something I really appreciate. And important for you to know, so I'm gonna call out "Facilities for disabled guests" as a definite win. I didn't personally need to test the various accommodations, but seeing them in place gave me peace of mind.
Then there's the 'Access' - the overall feeling of how easy it is to navigate and move around the premises. It's a solid A!
Internet: Wi-Fi Woes (or Wins!)
Alright, let's get real about the internet. We live in the digital age, and decent Wi-Fi is a MUST. The "Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!" claim is true, which I appreciated. And it worked…mostly. But sometimes, especially in the lobby (yeah, Wi-Fi in public areas), it sputtered. I'm talking buffering videos, the occasional dropped Zoom call…you know the drill. Annoying, but not a total deal-breaker. They also offer Internet [LAN], which I'm honestly not sure anyone uses anymore. But hey, the option's there if you're a dinosaur like me. Internet services are generally available, but don't expect lightning speed. Take it for a grain of salt, as with all places.
I will say, I spent a frustrating afternoon trying to download a file in my room, and it just wasn't happening. I finally ended up tethering to my phone, which worked perfectly. So, the moral of the story: come prepared with a data allowance, just in case.
Cleanliness & Safety – Did They Disinfect the Ghosts?
This is where the Hilton shines. In a post-pandemic world, you need to feel safe. And I did. They take cleanliness seriously. Anti-viral cleaning products are used, the staff are trained in safety protocols, and the whole place just feels clean. Bonus points for the Daily disinfection in common areas – I actually saw them at work. And for me, a big worrier, knowing that Rooms are sanitized between stays and there's a Room sanitization opt-out available was fantastic. Also, it's great to know that they have a First aid kit and Doctor/nurse on call, just in case. They also have CCTV in common areas and outside the property and Security [24-hour] so you can rest at ease.
I was also impressed to see Hand sanitizer stations EVERYWHERE. And I mean everywhere. Next to the elevators, in the hallways, near the restaurants – you get the picture. They offer Hot water linen and laundry washing, and hygiene is in tip-top shape, as seen by their Hygiene certification.
I even peeped inside a few rooms as the cleaning staff were doing their thing, and they were meticulous. All the extras, like Individually-wrapped food options in the minibar, were a nice touch. And that the Safe dining setup was appreciated. The only thing slightly weird was the emphasis on Physical distancing of at least 1 meter. It worked, but felt a little…clinical.
Dining, Drinking & Snacking – Food, Glorious Food (With Some Quirks!)
Okay, time for the food report! This is where things got…interesting.
The Breakfast [buffet] was a mixed bag. I'm a breakfast person. I love breakfast. The Western breakfast options were decent. Think eggs, bacon, some sort of potato concoction. The Asian breakfast options were definitely there, but a little..underwhelming. The Coffee/tea in restaurant was reliably good (thank god). And the Breakfast takeaway service was a lifesaver on my early checkout day.
But, oh man, the Buffet in restaurant experience itself! It was a bit of a free-for-all at times. A little crowded, not always the most organized, and the food could sometimes sit for a little too long. I saw a few less-than-fresh pastries one morning, which was disappointing. It wasn't bad, not at all. I just wouldn't call it the pinnacle of the San Luis Potosí culinary scene. And the A la carte in the restaurant was a good option too.
The Poolside bar was a highlight, though! Good drinks, great views, and a relaxed atmosphere. I could have stayed there all day. They have a Snack bar with a few options, and Restaurants themselves, although I didn't have time to try them. However, they offer Asian cuisine in restaurant, and also, Desserts in restaurant. Yum! The Happy hour was a nice touch too!
Here's a personal anecdote: I was sitting at the bar one afternoon, and the bartender (a lovely guy named Ricardo) made me the best margarita I've had in ages. We ended up chatting for almost an hour, talking about everything from local politics to the best taco stands in town. That's the kind of experience that sticks with you. He was the embodiment of what the hotel tried to achieve: friendliness, attentiveness, and a warm welcome.
They also have Room service [24-hour], which is a massive win. Perfect for those late-night cravings (or, you know, when you just don't feel like leaving your incredibly comfortable bed). They have a Vegetarian restaurant, so it's a thumbs-up from me.
Things to Do & Ways to Relax – Spa Day, Anyone?
Alright, let's get to the good stuff! The Hilton San Luis Potosí knows how to do relaxation.
The Swimming pool [outdoor]? Stunning, with a Pool with view. I spent a whole afternoon just lounging there, soaking up the sun.
The Spa/sauna is a real treat. I indulged in a massage (Massage), and it was absolute bliss. They have a Steamroom, a Foot bath, and even a Body scrub! It's an oasis of calm.
The Fitness center is pretty well-equipped if you're into that sort of thing, with a Gym/fitness and maybe even a Sauna. I admit, I didn't spend a lot of time there, but it looked impressive.
But my favorite part was that the sauna was never too busy, so you could actually relax. This is where I had my best memory. I spent an afternoon at the spa, getting a massage. It was the best treatment ever. I'm talking like, my shoulders finally released. Then, it's the best steam room I've ever been in. It felt like walking into the clouds. It was just…perfect. I wanted to stay in that room forever. The fact that there are Couple's room is a bonus too. So you can have that experience with your loved one.
For the kids, they have some Kids facilities, and a Babysitting service.
Rooms That Rock (Seriously Comfortable!)
OK, let's talk about the rooms. My room was a sanctuary. The Air conditioning worked flawlessly, the Bed was ridiculously comfortable (extra long, even), and there were tons of little touches that made it feel luxurious and special, like a Bathrobes, Slippers, and Complimentary tea.
I'm a sucker for a good Blackout curtains. Seriously. They create that perfect, movie-star-sleep environment.
Plus all the basics were there of course, like a Desk, Desk, Closet, Mini bar, including Extra long bed and Mirror.
Other rooms have the option of Interconnecting room(s) available, which is perfect for families, and they have a Couple's room too.
The Bathroom? Spacious and well-appointed, with a bathtub (Bathtub and Separate shower/bathtub). They also have Additional toilet. And I appreciated the Hair dryer, and the quality Toiletry they had, and again, all the Towels were fluffy and perfect.
Escape to Barrie: Your Dream Getaway Awaits at Holiday Inn Express!
Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because this isn't your grandma's perfectly-polished travel itinerary. This is me, battling jet lag, questionable tacos, and the general chaos that is… well, me on a trip to the Hilton San Luis Potosi. Here we go!
Day 1: Arrival and the Great Taco Inquisition
10:00 AM: Arrived at SLP airport. Let me tell you, that airport is intimate. Much smaller than I anticipated and the luggage carousel felt like a cruel joke – slow and rickety. Found my pre-booked transfer… which, naturally, was a white van with, what looked like, the owner as the driver (he had the name of the company across the windshield, which was reassuring, I guess?).
11:00 AM: Check-in at the Hilton. Oh, the air conditioning! Sweet, sweet relief from the Mexican heat. The lobby is… kind of bland, actually? Like a super-efficient corporate meeting space, but hey, at least the staff are incredibly polite and helpful. I really need to learn more Spanish. The room is nice, nothing mind-blowing, but clean and bright. The view? Of another hotel. Sigh.
12:00 PM: The Hunger. It hits. Hard. And I must find tacos. Armed with a half-formed Google Maps search and a desperate prayer to the taco gods, I ventured out. Found a tiny street vendor a few blocks away. Let's just say the "al pastor" wasn't exactly the tender, juicy perfection I craved. It was… edible. And the salsa? Holy mother of… the heat! My mouth was on fire! But hey, I lived to tell the tale. Victory!
2:00 PM: Post-taco nap. The holy grail of travel. Jet lag is kicking in. I woke up wondering where I am. Where is my brain? Why am I so drowsy?
4:00 PM: Pool time! The pool situation at the Hilton is a decent respite. I swear I saw some people attempting to swim laps… Good for them. I prefer the lazy float method. Ordered a margarita. Not bad! Not amazing, but the sun, the water, the general feeling of "I'm on vacation!" is enough.
7:00 PM: Dinner at the hotel restaurant, El Rincon. Honestly? A bit… meh. Overpriced. Everything feels… clinical. I'm getting a vibe that this hotel caters more to business travelers than vacationers. Still, the waiter was pleasant, and the margaritas (again) weren't too terrible.
9:00 PM: Bedtime. This is where the jet lag takes over. I am out like a light, dreaming of… well, probably tacos.
Day 2: The City, The Basilica, and a Questionable Taxi Ride
8:00 AM: Alarm! Ugh. But the promise of Mexican coffee pulls me from the depths of sleep. The hotel coffee is… okay, I'll upgrade for the day.
9:00 AM: Breakfast at the hotel. Standard hotel breakfast. The scrambled eggs are… look, they're eggs.
10:00 AM: Taxi to the historic center! Okay, this is where things get interesting. Found a cab outside the hotel. The driver, I swear, looked like he hadn't slept in days. He proceeded to drive… with a lot of enthusiasm. The city whizzed by in a blur of colorful buildings and honking vehicles. I clutched my bag, said a silent prayer that he knew where he was going, and hoped my life insurance was up-to-date. We made it – mostly in one piece.
10:30 AM: Basilica Catedral Metropolitana. Wow. Just… wow. That architecture is breathtaking. I spent a good hour wandering around, just soaking it all in. The sheer scale of the place is awe-inspiring. I even lit a candle for… well, for everything. All my hopes and fears, wrapped into this tiny, flickering flame.
12:00 PM: Wandered the Plaza de Armas, a hub of activity. Street performers, families, vendors… Mexico truly feels alive. Got my picture taken with a statue. I think I'm becoming a tourist cliche!
1:00 PM: Lunch: Found a little fonda (small, family-run restaurant) off a side street. This, my friends, this is where the magic happened. Ordered enchiladas potosinas. Spicy, cheesy, savory, and delicious! This time, I thought I was in heaven.
2:30 PM: More wandering, more soaking in culture. More sweating. It's hot. It's really, really hot.
4:00 PM: Back to the hotel via a much more cautious taxi ride. I requested a different car/driver.
5:00 PM: Pool time! Rehydration. Repeat.
7:00 PM: Dinner. No more hotel food for a while. Found a restaurant named "La Lonja" (I think) for a traditional meal. The service was slow, but the food was amazing. I think – I was so hungry!
9:00 PM: Crash. Sleep. The best part of travel for me.
Day 3: Let's Talk About That Spa…And Why I Need More Tacos
9:00 AM: (Slightly) less tired! Perhaps I'm acclimatizing!
10:00 AM: Spa appointment. The hotel spa is located in some dark, air conditioned spot. The massage was… adequate. The music, unfortunately was… elevator music. Soothing, but not exactly transporting.
12:00 PM: Lunch: Searching for the best tacos! I'm on a mission. Found a place that appears to be a hole in the wall, but smells amazing. It's worth the risk. I'll let you know. But right now I am starving!
2:00 PM: (Hours later): The Tacos!!! They were… chef’s kiss. The real deal. The real, authentic, spicy, flavorful, perfect tacos! I may have ordered seconds… and thirds. I chatted with the vendor in my broken Spanish, and the joy was palpable. This is what travel is about, right? Finding those hidden gems, that unpretentious magic, that makes you feel alive.
4:00 PM: Return to the hotel, a very happy human. Seriously, the tacos were the best!
6:00 PM: Packing, preparing for departure tomorrow. I kind of don’t want to leave, but my bank account is getting a little thin at this point.
7:00 PM: Dinner… will order room service, I cannot leave what I think is heaven.
8:00 PM: Reflecting: San Luis Potosi is a quirky city. There are parts I love, and parts that I find a little… well, challenging. But it has a certain energy, a certain charm. It's not perfect, but that's part of its appeal. I think I will come back to this city.
9:00 PM: Bedtime… and dreaming of tacos. Of course.
Day 4: Departure - A Last Bite of Adventure
7:00 AM: (Ugh) Wake up. The last hotel breakfast.
8:00 AM: Last-minute souvenir shopping. Attempted. Failed. Bought some candy.
9:00 AM: Check out. Head to the airport. I will miss the pool, even though the service wasn’t impeccable.
10:00 AM: At the airport. And… let's be honest… already plotting my return.
1:00 PM: Land back home. Tired. But, in a good way. Full of memories, and that specific taste of tacos. I have a huge smile on my face.
Post-Trip Reflection:
The Hilton San Luis Potosi was fine. Clean, comfortable, and efficient. But it's the city itself, the vibrant pulse of San Luis Potosi, that truly stole my heart. The chaos, the heat, the questionable taxis, the unexpected flavors… it's all part of the experience. And those tacos? I'll never forget them. This isn't just a trip; it's a piece of life. I'm just excited to do it again sometime (when I can afford it again).
Escape to Paradise: Pousada Gaya, Brazil's Hidden Gem
Unbelievable Luxury Awaits: Your Hilton San Luis Potosí Escape! (or, Maybe Just A REALLY Nice Hotel?) - FAQ Edition

