
Toledo's BEST Kept Secret? This Hotel Will SHOCK You!
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving HEADFIRST into "Toledo's BEST Kept Secret? This Hotel Will SHOCK You!" – and trust me, I've got opinions. Lots of them. So, let's get messy, real, and maybe a little bit off-topic, because that's how I roll.
First Impressions (and the Existential Dread of Travel Blogs):
Right, so the name – “BEST Kept Secret”? Ambitious. Makes you immediately suspicious, doesn’t it? Is it actually a hidden gem, or is this just another hotel trying to overpromise and underdeliver? Well, I went in with my usual cynical baggage, and…well, let’s get into it.
Accessibility & the "Oh, Thank God" Moments:
Okay, first up: Accessibility. This is HUGE for me because, let's be real, navigating travel with any kind of mobility issue can be a total nightmare. Now, I don't personally need full-blown wheelchair accessibility (though I tip my hat to those trailblazers!), but I appreciate it when hotels actually think about it. This place? They seemed to. Elevator? Check. Wide hallways? Check. I didn’t see the details posted on the website but they had the facilities. No tripping hazards that I spotted, and the whole layout felt…thoughtful. This is a huge win from the start. Seriously, dealing with a hotel that understands accessibility is like finding a unicorn that also makes really good coffee: rare and wonderful.
On-Site Feast Fest (a.k.a. Food, Glorious Food!):
Alright, let's talk about the stuff that truly matters: Dining, Drinking, and Snacking. This is where things went from "pretty good" to "HOLY CRAP, I'm having a moment."
- Restaurants: The hotel boasts several, and I’m not going to lie, I ate EVERYTHING. From the Asian cuisine in restaurant to the Western cuisine, they had it all. The salad in restaurant was surprisingly good.
- Bar: Oh, the bar. They had a Happy Hour that almost ruined me for all other bars. The cocktails were divine.
- Room Service: Room service [24-hour]? YES, PLEASE. After a long travel day, I did in fact have the Breakfast in room and it was exactly what I needed.
Things to Do, Ways to Relax, and the Quest for Zen:
Okay, so, getting to the "relax" part. This is where Toledo's Best Kept Secret really shows off…or, well, tries.
- Spa/Sauna: Okay, the Spa/sauna situation was… intense. They have a pool with view but I’m a little anxious, and I'm not sure what I can see.
- Gym/Fitness: Honestly, I skipped the Fitness center. I'm on vacation, people! But it looked well-equipped.
Cleanliness and Safety (because, you know, gestures vaguely at the world):
COVID-19. It's still a thing. So, how did they do? Pretty damn good. They had Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer, and Staff trained in safety protocol. While I understand it's necessary I'm not going to pretend to always adhere to the regulations. I felt safe and the Room sanitization opt-out available was useful.
The Room: My Personal Sanctuary (and Potential Tiny Fortress):
Okay, the room. This is where the “shock” might come in, though more for the good side.
- Wi-Fi [free]: YES! And it actually worked! (A small miracle, truly.)
- Air conditioning: Essential. Absolutely essential.
- Mini bar: Temptation. Pure temptation.
- Bathrobes: I lived in them. Don’t judge.
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Matter:
Here's where the hotel really shines.
- Facilities for disabled guests
- Daily housekeeping
- Concierge
- Facilities for disabled guests
For the Kids? (Because, you know, adults sometimes have to share the planet):
I don’t have kids (thank GOD, sometimes), but I did see Kids facilities and the staff seemed lovely.
Getting Around (Because Eventually, You Have to Leave):
They have Car park [free of charge], which is always a bonus. Airport transfer is also an option.
My (Unsolicited, Yet Utterly Important) Verdict
This place is a hidden gem. Yeah, it might have a few rough edges. But the overall experience? It was genuinely good. Would I recommend it? Absolutely.
My Honest & Messy "Offer":
Okay, here's the pitch: Tired of the same old, predictable hotel experiences? Yearning for something a little…different? Ditch the cookie-cutter stays and dare to discover Toledo's BEST Kept Secret!
Here's the deal:
- We're talking genuine comfort and style.
- We're talking accessibility and facilities.
- We're talking food that will make you want to cry happy tears.
- We're talking relaxation that actually, you know, relaxes you.
- Book now and we promise, it will shock you!

Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this ain't your grandma's meticulously planned travel itinerary. This is the raw, unfiltered, likely-to-implode-at-any-moment diary of my Toledo, Ohio adventure. Specifically, the one centered around the hallowed halls of the Holiday Inn Express Toledo-Oregon By IHG (yes, I said the whole dang name, it's important, dammit!). Prepare yourselves for a rollercoaster of emotions, questionable decisions, and the undeniable truth that sometimes, the best-laid plans go spectacularly sideways.
Day 1: Arrival & The Great Snack Debacle (Or, How I Learned to Hate the Vending Machine…Again)
2:00 PM: Arrival at the Holy Place. Finally! After a drive that felt approximately the length of the Mississippi River, I rolled into the promised land: the Holiday Inn Express. Let's be honest, the facade is…well, it's a Holiday Inn Express. Clean, functional, and smells vaguely of chlorine and ambition. The lobby? Surprisingly spacious, and the woman at the front desk was an absolute angel. Sweet as pie, even when I fumbled with my phone and almost dropped my keys. Good first impression, HIE. Good.
2:30 PM: The "Snack Acquisition" Operation. Here's where things went downhill, fast. I was STAVING. The vending machine beckoned, shimmering with the promise of salty, crunchy goodness. Oh, the hubris! I envisioned myself, reclining on the bed, devouring a bag of…whatever. I shoved my crumpled bills into the slot. Nothing. Nope. Zilch. Zero. The machine just stared back, a metal-and-plastic embodiment of cosmic indifference. I kicked it. (Don't judge me, I was hangry.) Luckily the front desk angel helped me out.
3:00 PM - 6:00 PM: Room Recon & Mild Panic. My room was fine. Standard. Clean. TV remote worked. All good…wait a minute…where's the…OH MY GOD, NO COFFEE! I'm a caffeine addict. A twitchy, caffeine-dependent zombie. This. Is. A. Crisis. I resolved to deal with it in the AM. (Spoiler alert: I did not.)
6:00 PM - 9:00 PM: Dinner Debacle at Tony Packo's I had to. It's Toledo. And I LOVE hot dogs. I was ready for the "you gotta try this". The place was packed, a symphony of clinking silverware, animated conversations, and the intoxicating aroma of paprika. Here's the thing: They were good, but the "you gotta try this" part felt more like a tourist trap thing. I mean, the hot dogs were good, but the hype was a bit too high. Did I mention it took forever to get my order? I think I aged a decade waiting for those Hungarian hot dogs. I think I should have gotten the pierogis.
9:00 PM - Bedtime. I spent the night staring at the ceiling, replaying the vending machine incident and trying to convince myself I didn't need coffee. Lies. Then I slept.
Day 2: Toledo's Oddities & the Coffee Revelation (Or, the Redemption of a Caffeine Addict)
7:00 AM: The Coffee Apocalypse. Okay. Enough denial. The free breakfast at the HIE. I'm not normally a breakfast person, but the scent of brewing coffee pulled me in. It was…adequate. But the coffee! Strong enough to melt steel. I was in heaven.
9:00 AM - 12:00 PM: Toledo Museum of Art – Masterpieces & Mild Existential Dread. The museum was fantastic. The architecture alone was stunning. I walked around for HOURS, mesmerized by everything I saw. I really enjoyed the way the space was set up. The Van Gogh paintings moved me. The modern art left me…confused. I'm not even going to pretend to understand some of that stuff. I was definitely judging some of it internally – "Did a toddler do that?" – but hey, art is subjective, right? And then there was a point where I was like just feeling existential.
12:00 PM: Lunch – The Taco Place (Or, My Love Affair with Cilantro). Stumbled upon this tiny, unassuming taco place off the beaten path. Seriously, the best tacos I've had in ages. I got the ones with cilantro. I wanted to cry tears of joy. That cilantro…it was a revelation. I even forgave the slightly questionable neighborhood.
2:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Toledo Zoo – Adorable Creatures & Existential Thoughts, Round 2. This place was amazing! The zoo was a delight. The polar bears were majestic jerks (I mean that in the best way). But, as I watched the monkeys swing in their enclosure, I thought about how we are all prisoners of our own lives. A heavy thought. I had to go buy a stuffed animal.
4:00 PM - 6:00 PM: Back at the Hotel – The Great Nap of '23. Exhausted from thinking and admiring and the early wake up, I went back to Hotel and slept. Bliss.
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM: Dinner #2 and The Vending Machine Strikes Back I really wanted to go to a pizza place that had been recommended, but it was closed. I ended up getting something simple. But I was still craving a snack. I thought I'd learned my lesson. I approached the vending machine with caution, but a new determination. I found a snack. I put the money in. It all seemed good. Then I hit the button. Nothing. Again. I stared at it, defeated.
9:00 PM: Bedtime. I knew I would have to get the front desk to help me out…tomorrow.
Day 3: Departure & The Bitter-Sweet Goodbye (Or, The Unshakeable Feeling That Vending Machines Are Evil)
7:00 AM: Coffee. Glorious Coffee. Repeat. Seriously, this coffee was a lifesaver.
8:00 AM: Breakfast: I found the waffle maker, which was a game-changer. And I finally talked to the front desk, and they gave me a snack out of the back room.
9:00 AM: Last Minute Toledo. I spent some time in a used book store. I love used book stores, it's always the way to go.
10:00 AM: Check Out & The Eternal Vending Machine Battle. I gave the front desk my room key. I gave the vending machine one last, lingering glare. We exchanged silent threats. I left.
12:00 PM - onwards: Headed Home. Driving, thinking about tacos, polar bears. The good times.
Reflections & Ramblings:
The Holiday Inn Express: The HIE was fine. Clean, functional. Above average free breakfast. The coffee, the TRUE hero of this story. But the real MVP was the front-desk angel.
Toledo: A city of surprises. The art, the zoo, the tacos…and the occasional dose of existential angst. I think I'd go back.
The Vending Machine: I suspect foul play. I'm convinced it's sentient and hates me personally. I will never trust a vending machine again.
Final Thoughts: This trip wasn't perfect. There were hiccups, moments of frustration. But that's life, right? It's messy and imperfect, and sometimes the best memories come from the unexpected. I'm still dreaming of those tacos. And maybe…just maybe…I'll figure out that damn vending machine someday. Until then, Toledo, it's been real. And Holiday Inn Express, thanks for the coffee.
And I'm off.
Escape to Paradise: Your Dream Home Inn & Suites Awaits!
Okay, So What's This "Secret" Hotel Supposed to BE? And Does It Actually *Shock*?
Where IS This Elusive Place, Anyway? Don't Tell Me It's... Downtown?
The Rooms! Tell Me About The Rooms! Were They… *Shocking*?
Speaking of the Building, What's the Deal With Its History? (Did it Used to Be a Prison!? A Murder House!?!)
The Service? Any Crazy Stories? Did They Treat You Like Royalty? (Or Did They Forget Your Towels?)
FOOD! FOOD! FOOD! What About the Dining? Is There a Michelin-Starred Restaurant? Or Just… Breakfast?
The Location? Good for Getting Around? Did You Need a Car (Or, You Know, a Horse-Drawn Carriage?)
The BIG Question: Would You Recommend This Hotel? And, REALLY, Was It SHOCKING?
The Most Random Detail You Remember? The Thing That Stuck With You?

